I sat down to have some breakfast today and turned on TED to see what I could see, and stumbled onto this talk. I couldn’t have said it better. THIS is an idea worth spreading.
The high points:
- Choose curiosity over clash
- Expect development of your ideas through discussion
- Anchor in common purpose
Scenery along the way:
- I never thought it about it exactly that way before. What can you share that can help me see what you see?
- The people you are curious about tend to become curious about you.
- Think of conversations as a climbing wall.
- Make the ideas sharper and the relationships warmer.
- If it doesn’t seem worth the bother, re-evaluate the purpose of the conversation: to learn, to listen, to share.
- Start with the big picture. Then move on to principles.
- It’s easier to share with outsiders than with insiders.
- Invite people to inhabit future possibilities.
- Take responsibility for reminding people of their shared purpose: caring for people.
… and if you liked that, try this: